Tuesday 7 June 2011

The Game of Genres

I'm not really that much of a fantasy reader - of course, I've done some - read  virtually all of Robert E Howard's Conan saga, as well as a few Conans by other hands, a little Raymond Feist, some Stephen Donaldson, Michael Moorcock's first couple of Elric books and the first book of Lord of the Rings. Never have gotten around to completing Tolkein's masterpiece but really must one day.

But for the most part I keep away from the genre - all those funny names, magical swords and drunken dwarves just don't do it for me, and after reading so much Terry Pratchett I'll never again be able to take fantasy fiction seriously. And before anyone says anything I didn't list Pratchett amongst those fantasy writers above because...well, he's in a genre of his own, one that features quite enough druken dwarves (dwarfs) for my liking.

So as I've said I'm not much of a fantasy reader - However the HBO TV series, Game of Thrones has been so bloody good that yesterday I rushed out and bought the tie-in Game of Thrones paperback.

It's been a long time since I've been influenced to buy a book by a film or TV show. Mind you the comments by Archive reader, Davieboy praising the books also helped.

I did consider the Kindle version, but for some reason it costs a pound more than the new TV tie-in paperback. And so it's back to the old days of lugging weighty paperbacks around with me, as I enter this strange fictional world and hope for an experience as good as the excellent TV series.

Expect a review from a mostly non fantasy reading Archive soon.

3 comments:

Davieboy said...

Woo-hoo! I'm honoured. You won't regret it I assure you, but you will know what's coming in book 1. You need to read books 2 and 3 to really get it, but I don't want to push it.
Enjoy.

I.J. Parnham said...

I'm another huge fan of the books, but I have to say that I never recommend anyone to read them unless they have one hell of a lot of time to waste. Book 1 is good, but afterwards the story bloats out of control (1500 page novels!) until it grinds to a halt in the horror that is book 4. I'll be queuing up to get book 5 next month, but I hope it drags the story back on track by providing some focus.

If only it'd stuck to its original plan of being a trilogy and concentrated on the heart of the song of ice and fire: Tyrion, Jon and Dan, oh and Eddy of course.

So my ten cents' worth is if you find your mind wandering during the chapters told from the viewpoint of the various samey snot-nosed kids, note that there's an endless supply of snot-nosed kids in the later books!.

Cowboy Yogi said...

Glad to hear that you will try out a new genre- maybe fantasy fans will do likewise. I have a real fondness for court and royal dramas like Game of Thrones, The Tudors, even Simon R. Green's Deathstalker sci-fi series. I would love to see something like that translated into a western, but haven't been able to find anything like that so far. I'd best get writing.

I do have to agree with Mr. Parnham, though, in that while I flew through the first three books I have never been able to make it more than a couple dozen pages into book four.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...