Friday 11 June 2010

Five million eBooks downloaded in first two months of iPad

People downloaded over five million books in the first 65 days on the iPad, according to Steve Jobs’ keynote at WWDC. It’s amazing to think about how many people have downloaded that amount of books. There is also another milestone to talk about, and it comes in the form of a magazine. I’m talking about the Wired Magazine iPad Edition app.

“After just nine days, Condé Nast’s magazine Wired is reporting an astonishing feat: the sales of its iPad edition are set to surpass those of its print edition. The New York Observer reports that just a little over a week after its initial release, the magazine’s iPad edition has already sold 79,000 copies. Considering that Wired’s newsstand sales average around 80,000 a month, it seems safe to assume at this point that the sales of the iPad edition will soon surpass those of the print edition.”

2 comments:

David Barber said...

I just can't get my head round the e-readers. I'd love to see the details of what books were downloaded and then see how many people actually read them after they were downloaded....or, as with all new gadgets, is it just a phase that will pass? Interesting post.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

David - I've always been a book lover - there is nothing better than spending hours browsing in a book shop. I love everything about books - the feel of them, the smell of them. But I do think eReaders will become the norm in the future. And to be honest I've owned a eReader for almost a year now and I read far more eBook than phyiscal books - simply because the eReader is always with me.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...