Monday 22 March 2010

Romance under Western Skies - CHASTITY BUSH INTERVIEW

The romance genre is, at present, one of the most popular genres with buyers of eBooks. Indeed the genre has long been a mainstay of the entire book market - Mills and Boons with their cheap and cheerful paperbacks may dominate, but there's much more than that out there. There are romances set in every period of history and some take place in the far flung future.

And so, red rose in hand, the Tainted Archive sat down for a Q&A session with romantic scribe, Chastity Bush.


TA: What can readers expect when they pick up one of your books for the first time?



CB: A lot of excitement. I write romance but I want to have more to a story than, boy meets girl, girl plays hard to get, boy wins girls heart and they live happily ever after. I like to have a lot of mystery and some suspense on top of the romance.



TA: You tell me you're working on a romance with a western setting. Why did you chose this time and place?



CB:Tumbleweeds is a work in progress that I have had niggling at the back of my mind for a little while. I have written one other romantic western entitled Savage Rescue which was a bestseller for Hearts On Fire Books at fictionwise.com until the closing of Hearts On Fire. Tumbleweeds is a follow up to that story based on one of the characters from that story. I have always loved a good western be it a novel, movie, television show ect. There is something about that time period that holds a certain level of romance and I wanted to tap into that for this story.


TA: So what comes first character or plot with you?


CB:I think that strong characters are what make a great book. I have had a lot of great reviews and most of those talk about the outstanding characters. I think that if you have characters that stand out and come alive off of the pages you don’t have to worry as much about getting your plot absolutely perfect. Plot does matter and I try to make mine great but I concentrate more on the characters. As for outlining, I wing that as well. I find that if I plot and plan my writing is just not as suspenseful.


TA: At the moment the book business is in a state of flux. What do you think the future holds for readers and writers?


CB:As long as readers keep buying ebooks over traditional books I see ebooks becoming the most popular form of book. I myself would rather hold a paper book in my hands. I like the feel of going into the bookstore and being able to hold a persons work in my hands and not spending hundreds of dollars on a device to hold a five dollar book. I have nothing against ebooks and welcome change but I wish that one did not over ride the other.


TA: Describe you're writing regime.

CB:
When it comes to a regime I am not sure that I really have one. I get my kids off to school and take a seat in front of my computer and whatever comes out comes out. I try to do as much writing as I can before my family gets home so that I can spend as much time with them as I can. I don’t really do a lot of planning of what I am going to put on the pages before I sit down to write. I guess you could say that I wing it.

TA: What advice would you give new writers?


CB:
No matter who you are or how good your writing is you will get a rejection from someone. But don’t let that get you down; it is not grounds to quit. Keep going. Whatever ideas are floating around in your head, do not think that they are too different or too boring to put down on paper. You never know what the next big thing will be and it just could be you. And research who you submit to, do not submit to a publisher just because it looks like a good deal, there are some great website to search publishers and agents, take advantage of them so that a publisher does not take advantage of you.

THANK YOU CHASTITY
CHECK OUT CHASTITY'S BOOKS HERE

No comments:

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...