Wednesday 5 August 2009

THE GOOD SECOND HAND BOOKSHOP GUIDE -TROUTMARK BOOKS, CARDIFF


The Good Second-Hand Bookshop Guide is new to The Archive but will hopefully become a regular feature and, with the help of readers everywhere, grow to cover hundreds upon hundreds of such shops and hopefully spawn a printed book. Details at the end of this post and please take part. Not only will you be supporting the used book business but you will be a part of what could grow into an essential reference for book collectors.

Troutmark Books is situated inside the Castle Arcade in Cardiff near the entrance opposite Cardiff Castle. Their telephone number is 029 2038 2814

There are three floors, each rammed floor to ceiling with books, it is a great place to track long wanted rarities or simply to browse. All the books are stored by genre and then within the genres the authors are listed alphabetically which you would think should be obvious but some second-hand books shops merely place their books in the next available space - frustrating and the cause of much eye strain.

Troutmark Books is a browsers paradise with a large range of books - everything is covered - vintage paperbacks, the pulps, comics, classic literature. The place has that distinct aroma that is unique to well stocked used book stores and the staff are great - they don't interrupt you when browsing and are very knowledgeable when asked a question. Pricing is also very good - they have some pricey rare items - the day I visited there were some wartime issues of Hotspur priced at a very fair £15 given that these were in superb condition. I managed to get a copy of Conan The Buccaneer in superb condition for only £1.90 while the Saint hardback, unmarked, cost me just £6.

The shop is also very conveniently located since there is ample car parking in Sophia Gardens and from there to the shop you get a pleasing walk alongside the river.

Troutmark books was visited by Gary Dobbs on 5th Aug 2009

THE ARCHIVE WANTS TO MAKE THE SECOND HAND BOOKSHOP GUIDE A REGULAR THING - but obviously I'm limited to the number of shops I can visit so how about others getting involved? Let's make this guide global - so if anyone has a favourite second hand book shop why not email me a review to garydobbs@hotmail.co.uk and mark the subject header - second hand book guide. I will publish all reviews unedited on The Archive and if the thing gets big enough I plan to publish a print edition using the POD system. I will place a badge in the sidebar of the Archive that will link to this post so folk can easily take part and please publicise this on your own blogs, after all your readers may want to get involved.

There are several rules.

1 -Don't tell the shop owners you plan to write a review as you want their normal service to be able to comment fairly.

2-Range of books is very important.

3- Include the shop's address and if possible their telephone number.


4-Your name and date of visit to shop must be published with your review.

5-Not a rule as such but if you do buy any books then please photograph them and attach the pic to your review email.

6-Rate shops by the variety of stock they carry, pricing and of how comfortable the browsing experience becomes.

11 comments:

I.J. Parnham said...

It sounds as if they'll need your help. There was something on tv this morning and it's spread over the media today about how the charity Oxfam, who sell a lot of books, is single-handedly destroying the second-hand book business - a nice ethical dilemma there for all liberal minded folk!

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Ian - if you come across a print version of this story then please send me the link. I'll take a look on Google now but anything you come across then give me the wink.

John Sinclair said...

As I live in Cardiff, and Troutmark is my local second hand store, I think I won't bother reviewing it again... But as I'll be in Newport this Saturday coming, I think I'll give the second hand bookshop in the indoor market a looksee.
Durn good idea, pardner!

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Thanks John - hopefully many others will do likewise.

BobbyNash said...

Cool idea.

Jack said...

Once upon a time there was an excellent second hand bookshop in Orpington but it closed down in Jan 2008. So, unless I'm prepared to go up the Charing Cross Road there is no such thing as a local second hand bookshop near me.
And anyone looking for westerns would be wasting their time in the Charing Cross Road second hand bookshops.
The next nearest second hand bookshop is in Rochester, Kent.

I.J. Parnham said...

Re Oxfam:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/aug/04/oxfam-shops-booksellers

Oh, and the word verification characters that have just come up are - FOKALL. I wonder what blogger's trying to tell me?

Oscar Case said...

You mentioned that you picked up a copy of the Saint. I had about forgot about this one, but I recall reading several in the series, by Ellery Queen (I think), no, I just checked on the web and saw that Leslie Charteris was the author. It's been a long time since I read any, but I enjoyed them immensely, and I think there were a movie or two also.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Oscar - there were quite a few Saint movies and a long running TV series - in fact several TV series. The character was also played on radio most famously by Vincent Price but many others have supplied the voice also. And of course the most recent big screen movie starred a miscast Val Kilmer as Templer.

Randy Johnson said...

I like this idea. Unfortunately, I'm way over here in North Carolina and the shop I had in mind isn't likely to ever be visited by most of you folks.

Ian Dickerson said...

And the Saint will return to TV screens next Spring...

Ian
www.lesliecharteris.com

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...