Friday 5 June 2009

STAR TREK 2009


Star Trek
2009
Director J. J. Abrams

OK - I very much enjoyed this movie and thought it was a far more faithful reboot of the Star Trek franchise than I was expecting.

The cast work well as the much loved characters. Least to my mind they did but then I'm hardly a Trekkie but more a casual fan. Yeah I enjoy the original series but will be the first to point out that there is a lot of trash amongst the pure screen gold - Spock's Brain anyone!

But the clever stroke here was in setting up an alternative universe, via a time-travel plot, that allows this new Star Trek to exist without stepping on continuity from the long running series. Hence Romulus can be destroyed in the movie and still remain faithful to the original timeline which can still run alongside the new rebooted franchise.

The cast all carry off their roles well, with the possible exception of Simon Pegg who was too comedy Scotty on times. McCoy and Spock were spot on and Kirk did feel like Kirk on times.

Still it will be the next movie that will be the real test but this one is an enjoyable, all action epic that will be enjoyed by the Star Wars generation as well as fervent Trekkies.

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm going to see this, but probably on PPV it's starting to look like.

I.J. Parnham said...

Curiously the only minor disappointment for me was the new Spock. I've been hearing about how good he is for about 2 years now so I was expecting something very definitive. On the other hand McCoy who never got any mentions beforehand was more McCoy than McCoy was.

And the reboot alternate universe is fine with me too. We Trekkies have spent the last umpteen years whining everytime an episode does time-travel and they solve all the problems in the last minute with a big reset button. Then for once someone has the courage to actually not press that button, so it has to be applauded for that.

David Cranmer said...

I'm looking forward to this but like everything else these days, will probably wait for DVD.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...