Thursday 25 June 2009

Put the pen to paper.

I don't usually blog about the actual writing process but I though for a change I would . Trouble is talking about the actual physical effort of writing is boring - I mean what can you say? You're sat there at the keyboard, often staring at a blank page/screen and you stay like that for hours, maybe a little daydreaming, a lot of frustration and more coffee than is good for you.

There are scores of "How To" books out there that claim to help in every process of creating fiction - plots, names, characters. And yet none of them really help, none come to the rescue when your bogged down with a plot twist that refuses to budge and take the story forward. In fact most of them have a negative impact since the time wasted reading them could be better spent writing.


You want to be a writer, Stephen King says, then JUST WRITE.

You know I think he has a point.

4 comments:

I.J. Parnham said...

I presume King's sage bit of wisdom came from one of his 'How to write fiction' books such as On Writing.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

It did indeed Ian - I love On Writing since it's for the large part not about "how to write" but more an autobiographical piece on King himself.

Charles Gramlich said...

I always find talk about writing pretty fascinating, but admittedly it's an insider's kind of thing. Most outsiders are probably bored to tears.

SOme of the best writing advice I ever read was in "A MOveable Feast" by Hemingway.

Laurie Powers said...

On Writing is actually the only Stephen King book I've ever read.

For the most part I agree with you guys, but there are some good books out there - for example, those that help unclog a writer's block with exercises. Charles brings up a good point. Sometimes just reading a brilliant writer like Hemingway will inspire me.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...