Monday 4 May 2009

WILD WEST MONDAY GUEST BLOGGER - Howard Hopkins



Sadly Howard passed away early in 2012 - he will be much missed



Howard Hopkins is a prolific writer with a penchant for action packed, character driven stories and taking his shirt off in You Tube videos. Under the name Lance Howard he has provided more than thirty westerns for the Black Horse Western imprint and he also writes horror both for adults and children under his own name. There will be an interview with Howard later this month on the Archive but for now we hand the reins over to the always obliging Mr. Hopkins for his guest blog in aid of Wild West Monday.


Over to you, Howard:



THOSE THRILLING DAYS OF YESTERYEAR
Before I started writing westerns, I was not a huge fan of the genre per se. My tastes ran more to superhero and Star Trek. I watched the Wild Wild West as a kid, along with scattered episodes of Gunsmoke—though I never really got into that one—Lancer, Big Valley and that was probably about it. I think Wild Wild West attracted me more for the cross-genre appeal, as later did The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.


After I started writing for Robert Hale’s Black Horse Western line I became a much bigger fan, started reading and watching the genre a whole lot more. I devoured handfuls of Louis L’Amour, Matt Braun and Richard Wheeler, as well as others. I got addicted to The Young Riders on TV and the Magnificent Seven series.


Despite the lack of western love in my youth (I sure hope I am making up for it now after turning in my 31st Lance Howard Black Horse, Dead Man Riding, recently), one western was always a constant for me. It was my first exposure to the genre and to this day I can still list it as my favorite.
I’m talking about that Masked Rider of the Plains and his faithful Indian companion—The Lone Ranger and Tonto. As a kid I listed to rebroadcasts of the radio show, watched the reruns of Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels as they galloped across the plains each Saturday on a local TV station, and read the Big Little Books, comics or whatever else I could find that featured that western icon.


I still listen to CD sets of the show (for info on them check out www.radiospirits.com), watch the old Moore show on DVD and read Dynamite’s latest and most excellent comic book incarnation of the Masked Man. Rumor has it a new movie is in the works and Johnny Depp has agreed to play Tonto (according to the latest issue of the Western Writers of America’s Roundup Magazines).


The Lone Ranger embodied everything about the western I loved—even when I didn’t love them. The hero who had survived the worst man and the elements could offer, only to come back stronger than before, the humanity of the stories, the grandeur of the terrain. Although the Lone Ranger was bigger than life he was never too big. He never forgot his humanity and stuck up for the little guy, the mis-accused. And he saw men as men, not red, black or white. Along with The Green Hornet (who, incidentally, was The Ranger’s great nephew) he eschewed prejudice during a time it ran rampant in the world (the 1930s in which The Lone Ranger was written and the late 1800s where his stories were placed).


The Lone Ranger, I feel, isn’t given the credit he’s due, not only for influencing a certain style of western, but of story. He had a sidekick before Batman and a set of unshakable morals before Superman.
It’s getting tough these days to find stories like that, though one need only look as far as some of the tales coming out of Hale’s Black Horse Western line by myself writing as Lance Howard, Jack Martin, IJ Parnham, Ray Foster and others. Perhaps some purists will claim this was the West that never was, and I reckon they’d even be right. But instead I look towards them as the West that might have been, had a man like The Lone Ranger truly ridden the plains on a great white horse. In the final tally, The Ranger wasn’t meant to be accurate, only entertaining, inspiring and in that he succeeded beyond a boy’s wildest dreams.
Hi yo, Silver—away!


Thanks Howard

Check out his Blog HERE

Buy Howard's supernatural fiction HERE

Check out Howard's web page HERE

8 comments:

Jo Walpole said...

What might have been is often more attractive/entertaining/believable than what was. That's the lure of fiction, I think. Thanks Howard.

Ray said...

Echo Jo's comment - but The Lone Ranger represented the hero that we wanted in life. I guess, like Howard says, it was the morals thing.

BobbyNash said...

I always loved the Lone Ranger. I remember sitting at my grandmother's house ont he weekends watching and wishing that I had a horse as faithful and as fast as Silver.

Great column, Howard. Thanks for sharing.

Bobby

Paul D Brazill said...

Nice one . I'm a big fan of Howard's story "Night of the Crimson Moon'. It's a gem !

Anonymous said...

Great interview, Howard. It is worth remembering, too, that there were some good guys like the Lone Ranger in the Old West, probably more than we think. No-one can really say the Lone Ranger was "the West that never was."

Andrea

Elizabeth Haysmont said...

When I was a kid in Chicago, I looked forward to Sunday mornings when WGN would show back to back reruns of The Lone Ranger and The Cisco Kid. I had a crazy crush on Clayton Moore and as a horse-crazy girl, I sooooo wanted Silver for my own!
Thanks, Howard. Loved the article. It really took me back.

Nik Morton said...

Thanks, Howard. Yes, the world needs all the heroes it can get. I made a regular date with the Lone Ranger and the Cisco Kid. There were so many other shows too though. But my favourites were Range Rider and Cheyenne.

Anonymous said...

I met Jay Silverheels once and a friend took my picture with him. She moved the camera and the pic. is blurred - dang it.

I also met the young man who played Tonto in the remake back in either the late 70's or early 80's. I can't remember his name now but he is also (like me) of German and N.A. ancestry. I wasn't going to see the movie because they refused to let Clayton Moore play the Ranger. But i went because of meeting the new Tonto. Afterward I asked him if the ----- idiot who played the Lone Ranger even knew how to ride a horse. Heck, he said half the time he had to be cued for his lines.

Sara
Trelawney Gal

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...