Sunday 19 April 2009

DRAMA CITY BY GEORGE PELECANOS


DRAMA CITY
George Pelecanos
Orion
£7.99

This is the first book I've read by George P and it certainly won't be the last.

Lorenzo Brown, fresh out of prison and looking to stay on the straight and narrow. Rachel Lopez is his parole officer who is battling a fair few demons of her own but nevertheless she sees a genuine desire in the client to stay on the right side of the law and she is going to do her utmost to help him. There is another major character in Nigel, an old criminal friend of Brown's who controls a large portion of the drug trade.

George Pelecanos presents a tale of fate and redemption and keep form control of this there way story that works towards a surprising and gritty climax.

An excellent crime thriller.

6 comments:

Paul D Brazill said...

A cracking book. I saw him speak at the NFT in London in 2000/2001 and made a bit of a tart of myself by laughing at the wrong bits!

Cullen Gallagher said...

I haven't read this one, but I did read his first one, A Firing Offense, and a more recent one called Right as Rain. I enjoyed them both very much, particularly his cinematic style of organizing scenes and describing them. He seems to have a great feel for cities and their pulse - as well as for music. In both books he is constantly describing what characters are listening to, and what they think about it. As a music nut myself, it only makes the reading experience all the better.

Paul D Brazill said...

cullen, music is a big thing inhis books . I read about 8 of his books on the trot in the late 90's -starting with king suckerman- and there's lots of music in there. 'hi-fidelity' with guns.

Charles Gramlich said...

I've never read anything by Pelacanos either. Sounds interesting.

Scott D. Parker said...

Pelecanos, along with Lehane, are the reason I am a crime fiction nut. There is just so much more than the prose on the page with these guys. Drama City, along with Hard Revolution, are my favorites. I haven't read them all--I'm saving them--but the Derek Strange Trilogy (Right as Rain; Hell to Pay; Soul Circus) are wonderful. GP is one of those guys that I buy the DAY the book is released, period.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

I'll be reading Hard as Rain next - I certainly enjoy this guy.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...