Saturday 7 February 2009

10 westerns you must read - five


Hondo
Louis L'amour
Originally published 1953

Not, to my mind, L'amour's best western novel but it was his first and set the template that so many of his other works would follow. The strong man rides into protect a woman and boy from the hostile Apaches.

L'amour's punchy economical tale never fails to raise the temperature and get the reader turning the pages quicker than a rattler on a hot plate.

Excellent writing from the man who remains without a doubt the best known name in western writing. This book has sold over two million copies and is currently available in deluxe softcover and an audio version.

Excellent.

3 comments:

David Cranmer said...

Hondo: Great book/great movie. I am going in a slightly different direction this week. I just picked up The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour: The Crime Stories.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

DAVID - I've got two volumes of the Frontier stories. I'd like that crime one myself.

Charles Gramlich said...

Hondo was definitely a very good book. I believe it was one of the very first ones I read by L'Amour. I borrowed it from my brother in law, who was a big fan.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...