Tuesday 30 December 2008

My last ever visit to Woolworths

The shop looked like a battlefield - row upon row of empty shelves, pissed off looking staff knowing that this is their last shift, bargain hunters like vultures squabbling over the last pickings.

It was all rather sad - this is the first time I've been in here since the firm announced it was in trouble and mostly everything had gone. Still I did get three packs of DVD - R's and the Dangerous Book for Boys and had change from a fiver.

And so in tribute to Woolworths the Tainted Archive presents this video


***********************************************************************************



**********************************************************************************

4 comments:

Jo Walpole said...

It's a shame about Woolworths, even if I haven't been in one for years. It's the one shop I remember my mum taking me in when I was a baby. She also taught me to knit using a little Woolworths rhyme she made up- in Woolworths, round Woolworths and out of Woolworths. It's funny what you remember. :-)

Unknown said...

Sad's the word. If I ever re-visit the land of my birth and upbringing in increasingly stressed times, I figure there'll be very little left I'll recognize or want to see. You'd need a time machine to travel where I would want to go.
Keith

Charles Gramlich said...

Woolworth's was important to a lot of small towns. Sorry to see it go.

Duane Spurlock said...

Ah, I'm saddened to hear of Woolworth's passing. The Woolworth's of the United States disappeared several years ago, when the corporation closed the five and dimes and put the money into opening new Footlocker stores -- shops dedicated to selling athletic shoes. Argh. I loved Woolworth's as a kid -- the soda fountain counter, the pet section (fish and parakeets), the cheap toys. Gosh, I miss that place.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...