Follow by email

Sunday, 14 December 2008

GUNSMOKE ANNUAL (Year unknown)


Braving a cold December morn, the coldest we've had since 1978 according to the newspapers, I take to the mean streets of Cardiff. I'm on a quest, a mission and I'm focused on the task at hand.

N0 shopper laden down with bags and an umbrella that comes perilously close to my eyes will deter me, no loud short guy with bad teeth, a burgar stained sweat shirt and a stall of cut priced Xmas sweets will slow me, no bad tempered traffic warden who insists I park half a mile away can cut short my vital duties.

And so I enter the battleground that is the pre-Christmas boot sale. My mission - quite simply to rummage around the stalls of second hand books, DVD's and 'objects de crap'.


This old annual was quite a find, particularly because I collect anything western related.


There's no date anywhere on the book but I'm guessing that it came out sometime around the early sixties.


The book features nine text stories and two comic strips - unusually for this period both the artist and writer is credited.

John Challis - stories
Dennis Mcloughlin - artwork

The book is in great condition and I got it for one pound.

9 comments:

Michael Martin said...

"Dennis Mcloughlin - artwork"

He still does Commando's. Very distinctive, almost noirish, style. His stories are normally on the Eastern Front or the Pacific, and he can even make a flat ocean with the sun beating down on it look as grim as the mean streets of Chicago.
He can only draw about 5 different faces, mind. Though that is 4 more than i can

Steve M said...

So these annuals are worth picking up then Gary? I occasionally see them but always pass them by for some reason. Maybe it's time to buy a few...

ARCHAVIST said...

Michael - Thanks for the info. Any idea what year this book is from? It's prices 7/6

Steve - I think so yes. I've quite a collection of western related annuals. I'll be posting about a Billy the KId annual next.

Charles Gramlich said...

Now that's something I would have liked to stumble on. I was and am a big fan of Gunsmoke. used to try to outdraw matt Dillon ever episode.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I love days like this. What could be more like a treasure hunt?

ARCHAVIST said...

Charles - it's strange but Gunsmoke was the longest running TV western but over here in the UK I was unaware of the show as I grew up, bonanza and rawhide were much more visible.

David Cranmer said...

It's a good thing we don't live in the same town because we would be hitting the same stores and fighting over the same great material.

Michael Martin said...

I can't give you an exact date, but i do have 1957 and 1958 School Friend annuals which are 7/6, so around then perhaps? For comparison the School Friend's are around 160 pages with thick-ish pulp paper, almost entirely black and white (though with one/two colour strips on the same paper), and a single coloured plate at the front. The spines are cloth and the covers are "paper stuck to card"

sexy said...

麻將,台灣彩卷,六合彩開獎號碼,運動彩卷,六合彩,線上遊戲,矽谷麻將,明星3缺一,橘子町,麻將大悶鍋,台客麻將,公博,game,,中華職棒,麗的線上小遊戲,國士無雙麻將,麻將館,賭博遊戲,威力彩,威力彩開獎號碼,龍龍運動網,史萊姆,史萊姆好玩遊戲,史萊姆第一個家,史萊姆好玩遊戲區,樂透彩開獎號碼,遊戲天堂,好玩遊戲,遊戲基地,無料遊戲王,好玩遊戲區,麻將遊戲,好玩遊戲區,小遊戲,遊戲區,電玩快打,cs online

情趣用品,情趣,情趣商品,A片,AIO交友愛情館,AIOAV女優,AV,A漫,免費A片,本土自拍,自拍,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色小說,情色文學,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,色情遊戲,色情影片,情色網,色情網站,微風成人區,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,18成人,成人影城,成人圖片區,成人圖片,成人貼圖,成人文章,成人小說,UT聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,哈啦聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,080中部人聊天室,080聊天室,中部人聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,苗栗人聊天室,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊聊天

情趣用品,情趣,情趣商品,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色小說,情色文學,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,色情遊戲,AIO交友愛情館,一葉情貼圖片區,情色論壇,色情影片,色情網站,微風成人區,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,18成人,成人影城,成人圖片,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人小說,A片,AV女優,AV,A漫,免費A片,自拍,UT聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,哈啦聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,080中部人聊天室,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室

情趣用品,情趣,情趣商品,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色小說,情色文學,色情,做愛,寄情築園小遊戲,色情遊戲,AIO交友愛情館,AIO,色情影片,情色網,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,18成人,成人影城,成人圖片,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人小說,成人電影,麗的色遊戲,自拍,A片,AV女優,AV,A漫,視訊交友網,視訊,視訊交友,免費視訊聊天室,免費視訊,視訊聊天,視訊聊天室,UT聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,哈啦聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,聊天室尋夢園

情趣用品,情趣,情趣商品,自拍,UT聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,哈啦聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,H漫,A片,AV,AV女優,A漫,免費A片,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色小說,情色文學,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,色情遊戲,SEX,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,18成人,成人影城,成人圖片,成人貼圖,成人圖片區