Sunday 7 December 2008

Christmas - bah, humbug


It's that time of year again - the shops are full to bursting point, consumers running from aisle to aisle, their battle plans drawn in their quest to liberate the latest must have electronic game system. The carefully thought out displays are decimated in stores and still the madness continues, spreading from person to person, leaving us all like zombies from some Romero movie with but one thought on our feverish minds - buy, buy, buy.

Ahh, sometimes I feel like screaming. Particularly this morning when I queued for over thirty minutes, stuck behind two old women chatting about all the dead people they once knew, only to be told the item I needed was out of stock. And then to add insult to injury some big guy with bad breath dressed as Santa waved his collection bucket beneath my nose and wished me a, "A happy Christmas."

I smiled politely and said, "Piss off Santa. And forget the Christmas tidings or I'll give you a fu***ing hiding."


This Christmas thing has gone too far down the road of consumerism and lost its original meaning. Now I'm not a particularly religious person, though I have my own belief system, but it seems to me Christmas is becoming a shop sponsored event.

When will this madness all end?

3 comments:

David Cranmer said...

For the past several years my wife and I have only bought for the children in our immediate family. Makes things a lot easier.

Charles Gramlich said...

They'll end up killiing the goose that laid the golden egg.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Things must be better in your neighborhood because I'm going into some not very crowded stores in Detroit. It will all end on December 25th for better or worse.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...