Thursday 2 October 2008

PEOPLE DON'T READ ANYMORE - ????

Apple boss Steve Jobs when asked about the launch of Amazon's new Kindle (see video review below for info on the exciting new product) reader said:


“It doesn’t matter how good or bad the product is, the fact is that people don’t read anymore,” he said. “Forty percent of the people in the U.S. read one book or less last year. The whole conception is flawed at the top because people don’t read anymore.”


Surely that can't be true.

I read as much as ever, more in fact since starting my book blog and I encourage my children to read and thankfully they've got the bug. That statistic Jobs gave about forty per cent of Americans not really reading surely can't be true. I'm not sure what the UK figures are but I don't think Mr Jobs' comments are particularly useful even if they are true.

Looking at the sales figures in the UK, which I publish every now and then on this blog I thought the book business was in something of an up-surge at the moment.






I'm thinking of getting one of these cool gadgets myself - It'll never replace real book for me but it would be nice to have, especially as you can browse blogs, newpapers, magazines etc and yeah I think I could tackle a few novels on it.

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

There are some books that I'd like to have that so far only come in ebook format so I'd like to get one of these too, although it'll never replace books for me.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...