Monday 20 October 2008

Not much of


a post today as it's four am and I'm getting ready to leave the house for another long day filming the BBC drama, Larkrise to Candleford.

The weather's been horrendous and the early morning drive up the M4 is never a pleasure. I've been using the drive to listen to an audio book of the Big Sleep read by Elliot Gould.

Apart from the fact that the actor played the part of Philip Marlowe in the Altman movie, Gould is a brilliant choice to narrate the books.

The first person prose lends itself well to the audio book genre and Gould catches the character so it's like listening to Marlowe himself.

Audio books were invented for those long drives and Chandler's poetic prose could have been written with the audio format in mind.
I'll end of that note as I'm just about to leave for the day - an so down these mean streets a man must drive.......

6 comments:

Chris said...

I love Altman's The Long Goodbye. Great flick!

When will the series you're filming be airing?

Charles Gramlich said...

I have yet to listen to an audio book. I so much enjoy the reading experience.

Chris said...

I love listening to audiobooks. One of my most recent favorites is Stephen King's Night Shift, read by John Glover. Really good!

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

All - I read more than listen to audio books but as I say a long drive is made for listening to audios. As long as they're read well I enjoy them.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Gould is one of those actors that should have had a more extended career. His seventies films were excellent. I'd like to hear him read this.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you Patti - California Split, MASH, The Silent Partner, The Long Goodbye, and Move

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...