Sunday 10 August 2008

Buried by Mark Billingham


I've followed the adventures of Tom Thorne since the first novel in the series, Sleepyhead and I bought this on the day of publication. But maybe because I was slightly disappointed with the last Billingham novel, Lifeless I didn't get around to reading it until now. Maybe I'd overdosed on crime and needed to read other genres for awhile. There's a further Thorne book out now and it's already gone into paperback so I've got some catching up to do.

I must say this is a return to form and Thorne is back in his usual place as a working copper. Maybe it was the fact that the DI had been undercover in the last novel and that it didn't address issues left open from the excellent Burning Girl that threw me with that book but this one is as good as anything the author's written.

A brilliant, well-plotted crime thriller with just the right amount of sleaze and violence and a main character that leaves most other crime series detectives standing.

Excellent Brit Noir.

No comments:

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...